Tuesday, November 28, 2017

My Name is Sangoel

My Name is Sangoel 

Author: Karen Lynn Williams and Khadra Mohammed
Illustrator: Catherine Stock 
Genre: Realistic Fiction 
Awards: None
Grade Level: 1st-3rd 

My Name is Sangoel is about a refugee from Sudan. After his father dies in the war, Sangoel flees to the United States with his mother and sister. When they arrive in their new home, Sangoel finds everything strange. Shortly after his arrival, Sangoel realizes that nobody can pronounce his name and he begins to work on a solution to this problem. Sangoel ends up making a t-shirt to help others pronounce his name. 

I would use this book in my classroom to show students that they should not give up on someone. If they do not know how to pronounce their name, they should work to find a way to learn how to do it correctly. I would also use this book to provide a variety of books with different characters in my classroom library. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Best Space Pop-Up Book

My Best Space Pop-Up Book Author: Caryn Jenner    Illustrator: Clare Lloyd  Genre: Non-Fiction  Awards: None Grade Level: PK-K ...