Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio

Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio 

Author: Peg Kehret
Narrator: Susan Boyce
Genre: Autobiography
Awards: None
Grade Level: 4th-8th 

This book is about a teenager, named Peg, who gets diagnosed with polio. Unfortunately she is diagnosed with three types of polio. She then heads to Sheltering Arms, which is a rehab center. Due to her needing a respirator, she is transferred to University Hospital. After a few days of her being in an oxygen tent, she is allowed to be moved into a regular room. Even though she is able to be moved out of isolation, all of her belongings must be burned because they may have the virus on them. Her new roommate is Tommy. Due to Tommy being put into an iron lung, Peg reads to him on the days that she is feeling okay. The two begin to listen to a radio show called The Lone Ranger, which aids in their recoveries because it gives them both something to look forward to. As a result of the many treatments that Peg is receiving, she begins to get better and is transferred back to Sheltering Arms. With a lot of rehabilitation, Peg recovers and is able to learn to walk again. 

I would use this book in my classroom to teach students about courage and how to find hope in the toughest circumstances. Personally, I would bot use this book as an audio book because it is long. I would rather have my students use the paper copy. 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you chose this for your audio book. My granddaughter's third grade teacher read this aloud to her class. My granddaughter loved it and encouraged me to read it.

    ReplyDelete

My Best Space Pop-Up Book

My Best Space Pop-Up Book Author: Caryn Jenner    Illustrator: Clare Lloyd  Genre: Non-Fiction  Awards: None Grade Level: PK-K ...